Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Emotional Eating and Anorexia



When you are feeling sad and teary eyed, do you 
grab something to eat to make you feel better?
A cookie perhaps?



Or more than one or two?




Just a little something sweet to cheer yourself up?



Or maybe your medicine of choice is a warm and 
comforting bowl of soup.  Something creamy and delicious.




Or something savory like a slice or two of pizza ...




And wine ~ maybe a glass or two or more.
After all, red wine is supposed to have good health
benefits right?



After all that emotionally charged eating you have put on
a few extra pounds, or unfortunately many extra pounds.
Then you panic when you step on the scale and you reach
for the latest, newest way to drop those excess pounds.



Then there is the other side of the coin.  A side that I know only too
well.  Anorexia.  I have battled anorexia twice in my life, and
both times it was during an emotional crisis.  

My first battle with anorexia was when I was 11 years old.  It 
happened while my Mom was in the hospital for extended visits.  I
discussed this topic in a previous post.  You can read it here.



I battled anorexia once again in early adulthood.
Just as it is a battle to keep from eating too much, it is also a very
real battle for an anorexic to eat enough.    Mealtime is an empty
plate.  Day after day.  Then the pounds begin to slip away.  After a
while you reach the stage of being too thin.  Yes, despite the old
adage you can never be too rich or too thin, you indeed can be too
thin.  And I was.

My friends would beg me to eat something, anything.




Anorexia for me at least, was always about control.  
Whenever I was in a situation where I had no control over
the outcome, I would stop eating.  It gave me a sense of
comfort just the same way eating an extra cookie or two
gives comfort to someone else.  

For some young women anorexia stems from a desire to 
achieve unrealistic bodies.  Girl are bombarded with
pictures in magazines and online of models who either starve
themselves or have been airbrushed to unreal proportions
or both.  Once they get on the diet slide it's a very 
slippery slope.  Every calorie is an enemy.  

The truth of the situation is that we all need food to
nourish our bodies.  Some of us use food as a salvo and
others deny food for the same reason.  



While I don't profess to having a definitive answer to anyone
battling either side of this coin, I can tell you what I have 
learned.

Life is about balance.  None of us are perfect or will we ever
be.  What each of us can do is to find a balance in life.
Work a little, play a little.  Find your passion in life and 
concentrate on it.  Spend some time in prayer each day and
be thankful for your blessings.  And lastly, focus on others
and not so much on yourself.  When you focus on helping
others your own problems are lessened.

Thanks for listening.

Big Texas Hugs,
Susan and Bentley







10 comments:

  1. I love these posts that you do that can possible help someone for make them feel less alone. We all have our issues. You are so brave to discuss them, sweet sister. I have had to watch what I eat all my life. I was a chubby child, then between 8th grade and my freshman year, I grew 5" to my adult height of 5'7". I stayed at a good and healthy weight most of my adult life, although like I said, it is very easy for me to gain weight. Menopause hit and my metabolism bottomed out. I am always watching what I eat and portions, just to keep my head above water, so to speak. I eat less, exercise more and eat healthier than I ever have and weigh more, too. I have decided that is all I can do and I am blessed to be healthy. Our looks will fade, but it is what we are about on the inside that counts! Love you, sister.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Menopause is a metabolism buster for sure. I have overcome my battle with anorexia thankfully. I agree with you ~ being healthy is the best thing any of us should strive for. Love you too Robin!

      Delete
  2. P.S. sorry for the typos, but didn't want to go back and redo. I am too busy thinking about nap time! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful post about a subject that needs more understanding Anorexia affects so many families Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post, Susan. Our society has created so many eating problems for girls and women. No one, not even the fashion models, look as well as they do in the magazines. I tend to eat when I am stressed, so I try to eat healthy foods. xo LAura

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan, what an honest post! I'm the stress eater around here and I just seem to keep those pounds on no matter what. I can imagine how scary it is to be anorexic. Take care of yourself for sure! Too much eating or too little is not good for us, like you say, it's all about balance!
    hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading my first post of the day. Way behind! Somehow my blog roll just up and disappeared! All that work!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. very important subject,, Susan. Thank you for sharing it from your perspective.. I watched the Emmys last night and almost every woman there looked SICK, even the reporters who of course were saying how Great everyone looked.... what that tells young girls, or any female for that matter, is sad and shameful.

    ReplyDelete

Oliver and I LOVE and read every comment.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...